GIFTED & TALENTED
The Harmony Schools are committed to implementing a program that meets the unique social, emotional, and intellectual needs of gifted and talented students through the collaboration of students, educators, parents and community members that ensures opportunities for maximum growth and development for life long success.
Definition of Gifted and Talented
"Gifted and talented student means a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience, or environment and who:
- exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative, or artistic area;
- possesses an unusual capacity for leadership; or
- excels in a specific academic field."
[Chapter 29, Subchapter D 29.121]
Providing students with an accelerated program to meet specific needs in a selected academic curriculum is the primary goal of the Harmony Schools Gifted and Talented Program. Additionally, the program provides students with unique opportunities to develop individual talents and to strengthen skills. Emphasis on a positive self-concept, relationships with others, and strategies to develop critical thinking skills enables students to become independent, self-directed learners.
Goals are focused in three specific areas:
- The gifted student will develop a realistic concept of self and work cooperatively with peers and adults.
- The gifted student will develop the higher level thinking skills of knowledge comprehension, synthesis, application, analysis, and evaluation in order to solve problems.
- The gifted student will create original projects that reflect critical thinking skills as supplemental learning to the regular classroom curriculum.
Gifted/Talented students will
- Develop critical thinking skills in order to solve problems logically.
- Develop research skills and use information gathered to implement a group research project.
- Demonstrate the ability to use creative problem solving strategies.
- Recognize how change in and around their world affects their relationships.